The Stream on Homosexuality and Transgender Issues: A Summary of Our Work So Far
The Stream has published a long list of articles on homosexuality and transgenderism. Here’s a highly condensed summary and a table of links, for the sake of the current Pastors’ Corner article on these topics.
We have not attempted to say all that can be said on the topic. We’ve done less work on biblical teachings, for example, because those are easy to find elsewhere. This list includes most but not all of what we’ve written. They’re sorted under categories, rough guides to the content in the articles, though some articles could have been placed in more than one group.
There’s so much to say, and so much left to say even after all of this, the best way we know to meet practical ministry needs is by answering your questions, especially Christian leaders’ questions. See here for more on that!
Pastors’ Corner Articles (Introductory and Explanatory Articles on this Pastors’ Corner Series)
- Tom Gilson Homosexuality and Transgenderism, a Practical Ministry Explainer Series for Pastors: Introduction
- Tom Gilson Pastors’ Corner: Making Ministry Practical, On the Tough Issues of Homosexuality and Transgenderism
Church Ministry-Related Articles
- The Ministry
- Tom Gilson Understanding the Five Questions of Homosexuality
- Tom Gilson Pastors’ Corner: We’re All Doing Foreign Missions Now
- Tom Gilson Seven Questions to Open People’s Ears to the Truth About Christianity and Homosexuality
- Tom Gilson This One Hip-Pocket Answer Can Get You Off the Hot Seat Every Time
- Michael Brown: Loving Gay People While Rejecting Gay Activism: Reflections on the Meaning of Stonewall
- Tom Gilson Preach the Whole Truth? Yes. Toss a Grenade In Your Sanctuary? Not Wise.
- The Congregation
- Tom Gilson Pastors’ Corner Teaching Moment: Help Your Congregation’s Conversations on Florida’s So-Called ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill
- Tom Gilson Practical Ministry Explainer: How to Begin Teaching Your Church the Truth About Homosexuality
- Tom Gilson Why Do Christians Have Such a Rotten Image, and Why Are So Many Leaders Trying to Fix It the Wrong Way?
- Tom Gilson Has Your Church Abandoned You to Handle LGBT Dilemmas On Your Own?
- Michael Brown Why Are So Many Millennial Christians Confused About Homosexuality?
- Standing Strong
- Michael Brown: Get Outraged and Stay Outraged
- Tom Gilson When the Pastor Asks, How Do I Stay Faithful in a World Like This?
- Owen Strachan Bruce Jenner and a Gospel Approach to Transgenderism
- Tom Gilson LGBTQ vs. ‘the Evangelical Church’ — The Choice This Mom Got Heartbreakingly Wrong
- John Zmirak This Christian Teacher in Ireland Chooses Prison Over Telling Hellish Lies to Children. Would We Do the Same?
- John Zmirak We Should Be Exactly as ‘Racist’ and ‘Homophobic’ as Jesus — No More, and No Less
- Flory (Dallas) Christians in a Cancel Culture: Speaking With Truth and Grace in a Hostile World
- Lael Arrington: LGBT Sexuality and Persecution: What Are You Prepared to Do?
- Tom Gilson On the Equality Act: Stand! For the Sake of God and His Truth, Stand! (Note: good info on church unbelief and inaction)
- Tom Gilson Friday’s ‘Day of Silence’ for ‘Bullied LGBT Students’: Arm Yourself and Your Child With the Facts
- Michael Brown: Parents, It’s Time for Some Righteous Indignation
- Joe Dallas: EvangelicaLGBTQ: Gay Activism vs. the Church’s Quiet Resignation
- Michael Brown: 11 Years Ago I Wrote That It’s Not Too Late to Turn the Tide. Was I Wrong?
- It’s Not Progressive Christianity, It’s Accommodationist Christianity, and It Has Nothing of Christ In It
What Makes It Wrong (Summary)
- Homosexuality is wrong for reasons found throughout the Bible, especially Lev. 18:22, Lev. 20:13, Rom. 1:26-27, 1 Cor. 6:9-11, 1 Tim. 1:10. Passages on Sodom and Gomorrah relevant as well.
- Homosexual practice both contradicts and undermines marriage.
- Marriage is good, in fact it is essential for human thriving in multiple ways and for multiple reasons, when it’s a committed, faithful relationship between a man and woman who treat one another with love.
- Homosexuality is wrong, as is any other sexual relationship outside of marriage (by which we still mean marriage between a man and a woman). We can show it’s wrong through the teachings of scripture and also by observing the damage it does to individuals and to marriage itself.
- Acceptance of transgenderism comes out of a mistaken view of what it means to be male and female, and not just that. It’s actually based on a mistaken view of what it means to be human.
What’s Makes It Wrong (Article List)
- What’s Right With Marriage
- Tom Gilson Marriage is Good — Let’s Keep It That Way! (Part One)
- Tom Gilson Marriage is Good – Let’s Keep It That Way! (Part Two)
- Tom Gilson Pastors’ Corner: The Very Alien Question of Marriage
- Tom Gilson There’s No Denying It: Jesus Says Marriage Is for Man and Woman Only
- Tom Gilson How Christian Naiveté Lost Us the War for Marriage
- Distorting So–Called “Conversion Therapy”
- The Ruth Institute Conversion Therapy is Good
- Michael Brown: The Truth About So-Called ‘Conversion Therapy’
The Evil of Homosexual Activism
- Activists have pushed acceptance of these things upon us through manipulative strategies, outright bullying, and even (at times) tactics bordering on extortion. Their methods alone are enough to nullify their claim to moral superiority.
- Their attacks on so-called “conversion therapy” demonstrates their false methods, as they distort the true good that can happen in genuine counseling of homosexual and transgender clients, and have used the hammer of the law to prohibit such counseling.
- Activists typically have serious hostility toward Christianity, and actively aim their bullying our direction. This is wrong on multiple levels, negating the so-called tolerance they themselves claim they embrace.
What’s Wrong With Homosexual/Transgender Activism
- Anti-Christian Purposes
- Michael Brown Yes, LGBT Activists Want to Punish Christian Conservatives
- Michael Brown: How the Triumph of LGBTQ+ Activism Has Negatively Impacted the Church
- Tom Gilson The Three Answers You Need for LGBT Activists’ Anti-Christian Attacks
- Tom Gilson LGBT Activist Twisting Jesus’ Words Into a Judgmental ‘Jesus Hammer’
- Joe Dallas: California’s Proposed Resolution Tells Pastors How They Should Talk About Homosexuality. That’s Not Okay
- Tom Gilson Liberal Scholars ‘Queering’ Early Christianity: ‘Let the Gender-Creative Celibate Men Come Unto Me’
- Tom Gilson Three Bogus LGBT Talking Points You Have Got to Say No To
- History and Strategies Used by Activists
- Michael Brown Loving Gay People While Rejecting Gay Activism: Reflections on the Meaning of Stonewall
- Tom Gilson ‘Big Guns’: How Decades of Shrewd, Calculated, Bigoted Gay Rights Propaganda Deceived the World Into Thinking Their ‘Enemies’ Are the Bigots
- Tom Gilson ‘Big Guns’ Part Two: How Decades of Shrewd, Dishonest Gay Propaganda Deluded the World Into Believing They’re Pure and Lovely and Wonderful
- Tom Gilson ‘Wise as Doves’: How We Let LGBT Activists Beat Us on Strategy
- Tom Gilson A New Explanation for the Rise of LGBT Leads to a New Strategic Response
- Tom Gilson Gay Pride Month and the ‘Shot Heard Round the World’
- Michael Brown: A Sobering Moment in the Midst of June’s Endless Flood of LGBTQ Pride
- The True Face of Homosexual/Transgender Activism
- Tom Gilson Think This Homosexual-Activist Survey for Middle Schoolers is Bad? No, It’s Worse Than That
- Michael Brown: The Inconvenient Truth About LGBTQ+ Activism
- Michael Brown: Why are Ex-Gays Such a Threat?
- Tom Gilson ‘Birth Defects’ or New ‘Normal’? Depends on Which Answer Fits Leftists’ Agenda
- Tom Gilson ‘Let’s Play Pretend!’ Progressives’ Magical Fantasy Wishing World
- Tom Gilson Gender ‘Nonconformity’ is the New Gender Conformity
- Tom Gilson People Say the Bible Doesn’t Talk About Transgenderism. It Does.
- Michael Brown I Will Stop Crying Out When the Transanity Stops
- The Ruth Institute Happy Birthing Person’s Day? Seriously?
- Michael Brown Radical Transgender Activism is Proof Positive That We Have Lost Our Collective Minds
- Tom Gilson Transgenderism and the Failure of Atheism’s Best Philosophy
- Tom Gilson Transgenderism: The Fastest-Growing Insanity the World Has Ever
- Tom Gilson Don’t You Dare Get Used to This Madness
- Michael Brown I Woke Up One Day and the Whole World Had Gone Crazy
- Jonathan Wells Some Effects of Transgenderism
- Michael Brown I Warned That Doctors Were Experimenting With Gender Confused Children. Now a Leading ‘Transgender’ Surgeon is Sounding the Alarm
- Michael Brown Transactivism is Hurting Your Children
- Stonestreet & Morris The Experts Challenging Treatment of Gender Dysphoria
Please Support The Stream: Equipping Christians to Think Clearly About the Political, Economic, and Moral Issues of Our Day.
Finally How We Should View Others Who Claim to be ‘LGBTQ+’
Activism is one thing. There is a more common, ordinary (but not normal!) experience of homosexuality and transgenderism, and it can be completely different from that of activists. Many such persons are as much victims of false messaging as the rest of us. That doesn’t make their decisions right, but their error is nothing like the evil promoted by the activists.
Churches should accept homosexual and transgender persons freely, as fellow human beings who need Jesus Christ no less than any of us need Him. We should thus welcome them for the purpose of showing and teaching them the love and truth of Jesus Christ. We ought not, however welcome anyone’s teaching any moral or social beliefs that contradict the truth as we know it. That includes both words and example; that is, there is no place in Christian community for persons to act out immoral behavior, and for us to to treat it as acceptable in any way. They’ve come to our place, they can follow our standards here.
Tom Gilson (@TomGilsonAuthor) is a senior editor with The Stream and the author or editor of six books, including Critical Conversations: A Christian Parents’ Guide to Discussing Homosexuality with Teens.