Effective Date: July 1, 2020
The following explains our practices, including your choices, regarding the collection, use, and disclosure of certain information, including your personal information, when you access The Stream:
We have implemented reasonable physical, managerial and electronic procedures to secure the data we collect about you (“Your Information”). We utilize secure servers (https) for all financial transaction information. We comply with and meet all PCI (Payment Card Industry) Standards. The efforts detailed below are made to maintain data privacy and accuracy, to prevent unauthorized access and to guarantee the proper use of information. The Stream does not store credit card numbers. Unfortunately, no measures can be guaranteed to provide 100% security. Accordingly, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information.
We collect information about you in several ways, including:
Information provided by you: We collect information you provide to us, such as:
- your name, telephone number, address, postal code, payment method(s), and email address. We may collect this information from you, for example, when you enter such information while using The Stream, interact with our employees, agents, or representatives, or when you make donations, provide feedback, contact us, participate in our surveys or marketing promotions; and
- any other information contained in any communications from you to us, including but not limited to letters, emails, SMS messages, online chat, website forms, feedback forms, social media messages, or any other form of communications
- device and browser information, including IP address, type, configuration, device IDs, advertising identifiers, or other unique identifiers;
- your activity on The Stream, such as pages visited, referral URLs, link activations, length of time spent on a page, statistics on page views, and web browser and server log information
- online and offline data providers, who may provide us with aggregated demographic, interest based and online advertising related data. Such aggregated data does not include personally-identifiable information;
- social media platforms and other publicly-available sources, from whom we may obtain publicly available information contained in publicly accessible posts or messages.
Use of Information
We use Your Information to provide, assess, manage, improve and customize our services and efforts, to ensure the security of The Stream, to manage donations and referrals, to process your registration, to effectuate your instructions and your payments, to communicate with you on these and other topics, to protect our rights, to comply with legal obligations, and for any other use consistent with your consent.
Disclosure of Information
We may share Your Information with:
- our Affiliates. “Affiliate” means any corporation or other business entity Controlled by, Controlling or under common Control with that Party, whereby “Control” means the direct or indirect ownership of more than 50% (fifty percent) of the equity interest in such corporation or business entity, or the ability in fact to control the management decisions of such corporation or business entity.
- third party companies, agents or contractors (“Service Providers”) with whom we have a relationship to perform services on our behalf or to assist us with the provision of services to you. For example, we may share Your Information with Service Providers who perform the following services: marketing, advertising, communication, outreach, or solicitation; security, including information security; payment processing; search engine optimization; customer service; data analysis and optimization; user experience or marketing surveys; and legal. As part of providing these and other services, our Service Providers may have access to your personal information;
- a third party in connection with any transaction involving a transfer of Your Information to a third party. For example, where Your Information is transferred as a result of a reorganization, restructuring, merger or sale, or other transfer of assets; and
- any third parties with whom you instruct us to share Your Information or otherwise consented to our sharing of Your Information.
Managing Your Information
You may opt out of receiving certain types of communications from us by clicking the “unsubscribe” link contained in such communications. You cannot unsubscribe from service-related communications from us, such as messages relating to your transactions or donations.
You can request access to your personal information by contacting us using this form.
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws. Please note that not all requests may be granted, including those that are unreasonable or not required by law.
If you are a California consumer, please see our California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) Addendum below.
Third Party Links
The Stream is not directed toward children under 13. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with personal information, the parent or guardian should contact us using this form, and we will take reasonable steps to promptly remove such data from our systems (subject to any applicable, legally required or permitted, retention standards).
We are based in the United States, and personal data collected by us and our Affiliates worldwide (including within the EU and the UK) may be transferred to the United States for processing. By submitting personal data (as that term is used under applicable data privacy laws) to us or our Affiliates, for example, as part of making a donation to The Stream, you consent to the transmission and processing (as that term is used under applicable data privacy laws) of your personal data by us and our data processors, as applicable (and as that term is used under applicable data privacy laws). In such cross-border transfers of personal data (as that term is used under applicable data privacy laws), we are generally the data controller.
Depending on where you live, you may have the following rights:
- Right of access. You have the right to know what personal data (as that term is used under applicable data privacy laws) of yours we are processing (as that term is used under applicable data privacy laws).
- Right to rectification. You have the right to ask us to update, correct, or supplement that personal data (as that term is used under applicable data privacy laws) that we hold about you.
- Right to erasure. You have the right to ask us to delete or erase your personal data (as that term is used under applicable data privacy laws) from our systems.
- Right to restriction of processing. You have the right to request that we limit how we process your personal data (as that term is used under applicable data privacy laws).
- Right to object. You have the right to oppose our processing of your personal data (as that term is used under applicable data privacy laws).
- Right to data portability. You have the right to ask that we provide you with the personal data (as that term is used under applicable data privacy laws) that we hold about you in a structured, machine-readable format. Under this right, you may either request that we provide the personal data (as that term is used under applicable data privacy laws) directly to you, or you may request that we provide the personal data (as that term is used under applicable data privacy laws) directly to a third party designated by you.
How to Contact The Stream
California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) Addendum
Personal Information We Collect
The CCPA defines personal information as “information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household” (“CCPA Personal Information”). We collect the following categories of CCPA Personal Information:
- Identifiers: Name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol (IP) address, email address, account name, and similar identifiers
- Customer records information: Name, address, telephone number, records and receipts of donations, donee mission, and other information relating to the consumer and his or her donations
- Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law: We do not require or solicit protected classification data, such as race, religion, or age.
- Commercial information: Records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies
- Internet or other electronic network activity information: Browsing history, search history, and information regarding a consumer’s interaction with an Internet website, application, or advertisement
- Geolocation data: We do not receive geolocation data, but receive your IP address from which we can determine your general location
- Inferences: We do not use inferences about Your Information to profile other consumers. To the extent that we may send you outreach communications tailored to your interest, such interest would be determined based on your interactions with us, our Partners, or our Service Providers.
You have the following rights under the CCPA:
- You have a right to know the categories and specific pieces of CCPA Personal Information we have collected about you; the categories of sources from which CCPA Personal Information are collected; our business or commercial purpose for collecting, using, or disclosing CCPA Personal Information; the categories of third parties with whom we share CCPA Personal Information; and the categories of CCPA Personal Information we have disclosed about you for a business purpose.
- You have a right to receive a copy of the specific CCPA Personal Information we have collected about you.
- You have a right to request deletion of your CCPA Personal Information, subject to exceptions under the CCPA.
- We will not discriminate against you based on your exercise any of your CCPA rights.
However, you can only assert your CCPA rights if we have received a verified request from you. To make a CCPA request, please contact us using this form.