Two Years Ago, Two Christian Bishops Were Kidnapped. Have They Been Forgotten?

By Published on April 27, 2015

It’s been two years since two top Christian clergymen were kidnapped by gunmen in Syria, prompting the brother of one of the victims – himself a senior cleric – to raise alarm that “the world is silent.”

“We hope that the bishops are alive, but unfortunately the world is silent and nobody has provided physical evidence,” Orthodox Patriarch John X of Antioch said last week on the anniversary of their disappearance, the Catholic Herald reported.

The two religious leaders, Syriac Orthodox Archbishop Yohanna Ibrahim and Greek Orthodox Archbishop Boulos Yazigi, were kidnapped by gunmen in April 2013 when they were on their way back from the Turkish border to their city of Aleppo.

Raising concerns about their fate, no group has claimed responsibility for their abduction.

“We tried to negotiate with those who can help in this matter, but unfortunately there was total silence,” said John, the brother of the Greek Orthodox Archbishop Boulous.

Read the article “Two Years Ago, Two Christian Bishops Were Kidnapped. Have They Been Forgotten?” on theblaze.com.

Print Friendly
Comments ()
The Stream encourages comments, whether in agreement with the article or not. However, comments that violate our commenting rules or terms of use will be removed. Any commenter who repeatedly violates these rules and terms of use will be blocked from commenting. Comments on The Stream are hosted by Disqus, with logins available through Disqus, Facebook, Twitter or G+ accounts. You must log in to comment. Please flag any comments you see breaking the rules. More detail is available here.
Inspiration
To God be the Glory
James Robison
More from The Stream
Connect with Us