Federal Judge: Recruits That Identify as Transgender Must be Allowed to Serve in the Military
The decision dealt a blow to President Trump's military policy on those who identify as transgender.
A federal judge reinforced her October ruling that recruits who identify as transgender must be allowed to serve in the military. The ruling takes effect on January 1, 2018.
Former president Barack Obama had changed the policy. President Trump had reversed his change. His new policy was to take effect next March. He had voiced concerns about military focus and medical costs.
U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly ruled that Defense Secretary James Mattis can’t delay the start, reported The Christian Post.
A second judge, U.S. District Judge Marvin Garbis, ruled against it earlier this month. Garbis said that the ban lacked justification and “cannot possibly constitute a legitimate governmental interest.”
A Happy ACLU, Unhappy FRC
The ACLU cheered the courts’ decisions. “We’re pleased that the courts have stepped in to ensure that trans service members are treated with the dignity and respect they deserve,” ACLU attorney Joshua Block said.
Conservative groups objected. Family Research Council President Tony Perkins denounced the decisions as judicial activism. “The courts have moved beyond legislating on the invented rights of abortion and same-sex marriage to clearly usurping the constitutional authority of the executive branch.”
The Marine veteran noted that the president “has the primary task of protecting Americans.” The courts are “now telling the commander-in-chief how to run the military.