A Call for National Civil Disobedience to Obama’s Public School Transgender Bathroom Mandate
There are times in history when obedience to God means disobedience to man. This is one of those times.
Now that the Obama administration has announced that public schools must allow boys who identify as girls to use the girls’ bathrooms and locker rooms — meaning, in effect, that teenage girls must undress and shower in the presence of biological males — it is time to say, “With all respect to the authority of the federal government, we refuse to comply with your mandate.”
Across the nation, parents, school boards, principles, administrators and teachers must say no to President Obama and his administration. They must do it for the sake of the children. They must do it for the sake of moral sanity. They must do it to honor the Lord.
Enough is enough. Too many lines have been crossed, too many moral values have been trashed, and too much common sense has been ignored, all in the name of radical LGBT activism.
Now that activism has gone too far. Let’s remember that:
- Kids who identify as transgender represent the tiniest minority of the population, perhaps two or three out of a thousand.
- The great majority of kids who identify as transgender do not do so once they pass through puberty, so for most of them this is a temporary condition.
- Some parents of transgender-identified kids, along with LGBT activists, have rejected compassionate solutions for these kids (such as letting them use a faculty, single-stall bathroom). Instead they insist that the child’s struggles be imposed on the rest of the students.
- Parents of transgender-identified kids, along with LGBT activists, have also sought to introduce radical transgender curricula to students as young as 5.
- Schools are ignoring reports of other children feeling violated, embarrassed, and even traumatized by the presence of kids of the opposite biological sex in their bathrooms and locker rooms, and the parents of those traumatized kids have been told that nothing can be done because of laws against discrimination based on gender identity.
- Already one university that introduced gender neutral shower stalls had to reevaluate its policy after heterosexual males were caught using cell phones to record the girls showering in the adjoining stalls.
- Some kids have admitted to using transgender identity as a way to push back against the “dominant society.”
- In the vast majority of cases, we are not talking about children with biological or chromosomal abnormalities, and mental health professionals and brain scientists still do not agree as to the exact nature of transgender identification. (Is it a mental disorder? Is perception now reality? Is it the best course of action to give hormone blockers to children, followed by sex-change surgery and then hormones for life?)
- The American College of Pediatricians (branded a “hate group” by its radical critics) issued a documented statement urging “educators and legislators to reject all policies that condition children to accept as normal a life of chemical and surgical impersonation of the opposite sex. Facts — not ideology — determine reality.” (The statement is titled, “Gender Ideology Harms Children.”)
Despite all this, the Obama administration has now mandated that all public schools turn their entire programs upside down because of the struggles of perhaps two or three students out of one thousand.
Not only so, but the Obama administration is doing this without any legal authority, misinterpreting Title IX requirements against discriminating based on “sex”— which has historically referred to biological sex— as if “sex” now included “gender identity,” which has an infinite number of subjective possibilities.
Recall that Facebook in 2014, under pressure from transgender activists, decided to offer 50 different ways to define your gender, including ten different identities simultaneously. Yet not even this departure from reality was enough. They subsequently added the choice, “Fill in the blank.”
Yet the Obama administration now wants to force all public schools to embrace these “realities,” at the expense of the rest of the student body. This is nothing less than social madness and it must be resisted. Parents and administrators and teachers must say, “We respect and honor our government, but we cannot in good conscience comply, regardless of cost or consequence.”
There was a time in our national history when our forefathers concluded, “Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God,” launching the American Revolution. There was a time when the apostles told the national leadership, “We must obey God rather than men” (Acts 5:29). There was a time when Dr. Martin Luther King told his hearers, “A man dies when he refuses to stand up for that which is right. A man dies when he refuses to stand up for justice. A man dies when he refuses to take a stand for that which is true.”
We find ourselves in a similar situation today, one in which, to quote Dr. King again, a person “must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”
Today, our conscience tells us this is right.
As Americans, especially as Christian Americans, we want to be tolerant, loving and accepting. We want to help people in their struggles. We want to embrace those who are different. We want to reach out to those who are marginalized. Yet we can do this without sacrificing our children on the altar of political correctness and radical LGBT activism.
Let us stand together as one and say, “Enough is enough, and we will not comply.”
I urge all persons of conscience who are educators to state their position clearly. I urge every parent to contact their local public school and, with respect and firmness, state their position clearly, and I urge every student to be kind to their fellow students while holding fast to that which is right, working together with their parents for the best interests of their schools.
For some this will mean withdrawing from the public school system. For others, it will mean staying with and working to reform the public school system. Either way, it means decisive, uncompromising action.
Let us, then, commemorate this date not so much as the day when the Obama administration crossed a dangerous line. Let us commemorate it more as the day the nation woke up to righteousness.