Man’s Tiny House Destroyed by Fire; His Bible Intact Among the Ashes

By Nancy Flory Published on January 3, 2019

A disabled man from East Texas woke up early one morning last week to find his tiny house on fire. “I looked up and my whole bedroom was on fire,” said Charles House, the homeowner. “All I could do was just jump up and run out the house.”

Although his property was a total loss, one thing remained intact: his Bible. “He said His word would not perish, and the Bible did not burn. It was scorched but it did not burn. That Man’s word is real.”

House’s tiny home was a storage building that he transformed into a house. He was saving money for a larger home. 

Please Support The Stream: Equipping Christians to Think Clearly About the Political, Economic, and Moral Issues of Our Day.

The Tyler Fire Marshall’s Office reported that the fire was caused by “hazardous wiring,” which caused circuits to overload, reported KLTV. The fire started in the walls and spread to the ceiling. House is thankful to have escaped. “I liked to have passed out trying to get out the door, and it’s fortunate I got myself out of there. It’s a blessing; I can’t stop saying that because it’s a blessing. Thank God.”

As House walked through his burned property, the Bible sat on top of a burned side table. “You can take it away, but you can never stop His word,” he said. “I’m a witness to that right now. Seeing that Bible, in the middle of that fire … it didn’t burn that Bible.”

House started a GoFundMe page to help with expenses. As of Thursday, over $5,000 out of $8,000 has been raised. 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Like the article? Share it with your friends! And use our social media pages to join or start the conversation! Find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, MeWe and Gab.

Inspiration
Absolute Surrender
Michelle Cushatt
More from The Stream
Connect with Us