New Documents Show No Doubt ‘Russia’ Collusion Was a Hoax
Going into the weekend, we’ve got some great new reading material to pass along that blasts to Kingdom Come any pretext of legitimacy concerning the “Trump/Russia” investigation.
As Sen. Lindsay Graham forecast a couple of days ago, the Senate Judiciary Committee, which he chairs, has at last obtained a couple of highly significant documents, newly declassified.
New York Times Blows It
The first is a curious typewritten report by Peter Strzok on the accuracy of a New York Times story on the Trump campaign’s involvement with Russia. Written February 14, 2017, his report (as opposed to the story) shows beyond all doubt Strzok’s awareness that there was no reliable evidence that the Trump campaign had had contact with Russian intelligence, in any form.
How can we be so sure of this? Well, the NYT had reported that “phone records and intercepted calls” showed that Trump campaign officials had contact with members of the Russian intelligence services. But Strozk, in his report, said, “This statement is misleading and inaccurate as written. We have not seen any evidence of any individuals affiliated with the Trump team in contact with [intelligence officers].”
As Zachary Evans writes in National Review, Strzok wrote this not once, not twice, but three times in his report.
Investigative reporter John Solomon, appearing with Devin Nunes and guest host Tammy Bruce on Friday’s Hannity, said that “nine substantive errors” were found in that single NYT story and that it should be retracted. (Ha, don’t hold your breath. Not that it matters; the damage was done at the time.) According to Solomon, what we’re now finally able to see proves that the FBI knew for months “that everything they gave to the FISA court was wrong — EVERYTHING — and yet they never retracted it and renewed the FISA application two more times.”
Nunes stressed the importance of INDICTMENTS. (I put that in capital letters to stress the importance of indictments myself.) “I’m not too interested in the Durham report,” he said. “I would like to know everything, for the four-plus years, that went on, including even the Mueller investigation, but really what we want is … indictments. We’ve made 14 criminal referrals; we have another investigation that’s ongoing. … Also, we have suspected for a very long time that Steele had maybe only two Russians, but we believe [that] … he didn’t really know them. How was it that Steele found these supposed ‘Russians’ and was able to use them? We’ve asked the FBI and the CIA about these Russians; I’ve said for a long time we’re interested in two Russians — and … they have yet to allow us access to these two Russians who we now believe are living in the United States.”
All right, Director Wray, what is going on with that? It should be all right for Senate and congressional investigators to have access to the whole cast of characters by now, as part of their oversight function of the FBI. What is the holdup at this point? If it’s just that this is going to make the FBI look bad, well, sorry, that’s not a good enough reason.
Steele Subsource Destroyed Steele’s Claims, Yet FBI Still Ran With Dossier
Moving on … the other document now available is the 57-page transcript of an interview with Steele’s primary source for the “dossier.” The document still contains some redactions, but as The Daily Caller reports, Sen. Graham says it “indicates the reliability of the dossier was completely destroyed” after the interviews, which were conducted over three days in January 2017.
In other words, over January and February of 2017, the “dossier” — and, by extension, the investigation based on it — was shown without a doubt to be an outrageous farce with no evidence to back it up. But the FBI just kept pushing. So, of course, did the Democrats. Robert Mueller was appointed special counsel in mid-May!
Incidentally, there had been a hold-up in obtaining this document as well, as can be seen in this earlier report from The Daily Caller, dated June 25.
According to The Daily Caller, the FBI had been “refusing” to supply the document, “saying in response to a public records request that the information is classified and risks identifying a confidential FBI source.” Reading their account, you can see how long and hard the tug-of-war has been to get hold of classified documents that tell the tale of this hoax.
But they’re out now — happy reading!
Mike Huckabee is the former governor of Arkansas and longtime conservative commentator on issues in culture and current events. A New York Times best-selling author, he hosts the weekly talk show Huckabee on TBN.
Originally published at MikeHuckabee.com. Reprinted with permission.