British Woman Dies After Exposure to Novichok Nerve Agent: Authorities
A British woman in Amesbury, England died last Sunday after being exposed to a nerve agent developed by the Soviet Union, according to the Metropolitan Police.
The woman, identified as Dawn Sturgess, fell seriously ill last Saturday after exposure to Novichok, the same dangerous chemical substance that put former Russian spy turned double agent Sergei Skripal, his daughter Yulia and Detective Sergeant Nick Bailey in the hospital in March.
Another man, Charles Rowley, was also exposed to the nerve agent last Saturday. He remains in critical condition, CNN reports. The initial attack in March is believed to be the first offensive use of this particular chemical weapon since the Second World War, according to Reuters.
Although at least five people have been exposed to Novichok in recent months, the passing of Sturgess marks the first related death.
“This is shocking and tragic news. Dawn leaves behind her family, including three children, and our thoughts and prayers are with them at this extremely difficult time,” Neil Basu, a senior counter-terrorism officer, said in response. Prime Minister Theresa May said she was appalled by this turn of events.
The U.K. initially pinned the March poisoning on Russia, and all eyes are once again on Moscow. The Kremlin has denied any involvement with the tragic incidents in Britain.
A murder investigation is underway following Strugess’ death.
Send Ryan an email firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @rwp2011
Copyright 2018 Daily Caller News Foundation
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact email@example.com.