Biden Administration Blocks Natural Gas Project in New England

By Published on January 6, 2022

The Biden administration approved a plan to block a new natural gas power plant that would’ve powered 500,000 homes from being built in Connecticut.

The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) approved the plan proposed by utility company ISO New England — an electricity provider in the northeast — effectively killing the project, E&E News reported on Wednesday. In November, ISO New England submitted the plan to block the Killingly Energy Center project over delays.

“The ISO’s decision to terminate the capacity supply obligation is based on our lack of confidence that the project would meet its deadline for commercial operations,” ISO New England spokesperson Matt Kakley told E&E News.

But the proposal to build the energy center had been criticized by environmentalists and state officials in Connecticut where it would’ve been constructed, according to E&E News. While the power plant would’ve boosted electricity supply in the New England region, opponents of the plan said it would be counterproductive to local climate goals.

“The Killingly Energy Center is a bad idea for eastern Connecticut,” Kate Donnelly, a member of environmental group No More Dirty Power, said in a statement in November. “It would increase the pollution in Killingly, a town with high asthma rates that already houses a fracked gas power plant. Its construction would make it impossible to meet Connecticut’s goals to address the climate crisis.”

On Tuesday evening, Sierra Club Connecticut said the FERC decision was “a bit of cheer as we start the New Year.”

Please Support The Stream: Equipping Christians to Think Clearly About the Political, Economic, and Moral Issues of Our Day.

However, Florida-based firm NTE Energy, which proposed the $500 million project, expressed disappointment after the decision, according to E&E News. The company, though, didn’t rule out potentially pursuing the plant through other means.

“We are very disappointed and do not agree with FERC’s decision,” NTE Energy managing partner Tim Eves said in a statement, E&E News reported.

“The Killingly Energy Center is important for grid reliability, and we will continue to work to be the bridge for the region’s carbon-free future,” Eves said.

 

Copyright 2021 The Daily Caller News Foundation

 Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected]

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Like the article? Share it with your friends! And use our social media pages to join or start the conversation! Find us on Facebook, Twitter, Parler, Instagram, MeWe and Gab.

Inspiration
God Uses Leaders Who Have Faces and Names
Bunni Pounds
More from The Stream
Connect with Us